Advertisement

Hey,

I am new to this community and site. Going through the site/forum and seeing everyone's comments, it seems like a great place to ask for advice in getting started in this profession.

Some background information:
I have my portfolio started (8 months so far)-I am polishing it up visually.
I have not taken a course or degree in copywriting (I hear many people saying its not necessary).

Is it a patience game or should I start applying to jobs? How would I go about applying since many ask for experience and or schooling?

I hope this is not a redundant topic, but I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

Hi. I would recommend that

Hi. I would recommend that you read "Hey Whipple, Squeeze This", by Luke Sullivan. He basically takes on the basics of creativity in advertising and how you should present your work. Great read.

Though I agree that diplomas in general are very much overrated, don't underestimate what a cursus in a decent university or school can bring you: meeting with seasoned pros, ,better access to intership, etc... But at the end of the day, only the quality of your work counts. If you haven't graduated from anything in particular, your portfolio has better be really good.

One last thing: if you a re a copywriter, find yourself an AD to work with.

Don't hesitate to post your ads in the Exhibition section of the forum. It's bit dead right now, because almost nobody post anything, beside spammers, but it's worth the try =)

Cheers! Charlie

Hi. I would recommend that

Hi. I would recommend that you read "Hey Whipple, Squeeze This", by Luke Sullivan. He basically takes on the basics of creativity in advertising and how you should present your work. Great read.

Though I agree that diplomas in general are very much overrated, don't underestimate what a cursus in a decent university or school can bring you: meeting with seasoned pros, ,better access to intership, etc... But at the end of the day, only the quality of your work counts. If you haven't graduated from anything in particular, your portfolio has better be really good.

One last thing: if you a re a copywriter, find yourself an AD to work with.

Don't hesitate to post your ads in the Exhibition section of the forum. It's bit dead right now, because almost nobody post anything, beside spammers, but it's worth the try =)

Cheers! Charlie

Thanks for the reply, Charlie

Thanks for the reply, Charlie. I have read the two newest editions of Hey Whipple squeeze this. However, I think a reread may be a good thing. I am hesitant to post things on here. How does one protect his or her work?

Thanks for the reply.

You don't have to worry about

You don't have to worry about protecting your ideas. The chance that yours might be stolen are pretty slim, given the low traffic on the exhibition forum. And even if someone from somewhere around the globe would do ti, you couldn't really know about it. And if you see an real ad with your idea, chances are the agency had that idea before you =)

Is anyone else having this

Is anyone else having this problem? Did anyone have this problem and if so how did you go about resolving it? Thanks.

Advertisement
Campaign Submission
Upload Your Work
Get Featured on AotW
Submit Now