Advertisement

I've been a member of Ads of the World for a little over 2 yrs, and there are some disturbing things that I have noticed. First, I've noticed that the amount of new material for the exhibition part of the site is, unfortunately, almost devoid of anything new. There are posts as old as 5 yrs. that show up where newer posts should be going. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not getting onto the fact that older posts show up on a fairly regular basis, to me this means that there are a lot of people who are seeing them for the first time and that's fantastic. However, it is a bit disheartening that there isn't a constant flow of new, creative material.

Second, I also notice that when there are new ads placed on here, that there are only a few cases where there are more than 2 (if any) comments left behind. I find this to be an odd occurrence when this is a site that is supposed to allow fellow creatives, both professional and hopeful, to receive critique on their posts in order to become better and stronger in their field. However, maybe the two are linked. Maybe because their is little in the way of critique, most creatives feel that it's not worth their time to post anything.

Lastly, It also appears to me that those who are not in the Art Direction side of the field tend to get lambasted by those who are. I've seen on a number of occasions where a hopeful copywriter gets more critique on his placement of a particular product than he does on whether or not the copy, headline, etc... works.

I really do love this site and when I found it, it was like the holy grail for creatives. But now, while I still enjoy coming on here, the holy grail has become a bit tarnished and is badly in need of polishing; so that it can regain it's former glory.

Thank you

I'm right here with you,

I'm right here with you, buddy. For quiet sometimes the exhibition forum has been pretty much dead. I must admit that I myself haven't been really active in the past few months, my interest in advertising has faded a bit and I haven't really been commenting on recent posts. But I think it's mainly because the forum has been dead for so long.

I remember a time, back in 2007/2008 where there was way more things happening, students and pros coming and going. No it's just super boring. I think the exhibition forum needs a make over. Not just cosmetics (btw Ivan, there's no link to the forums on the new home page =), but in the way it works, with moderators, weekly contests (we tried that informally, without any big success) a notation system a la Brands of the World and overall a lot more of community management. All this would really improve the attractiveness of the forum. I'd gladly be willing to give a hand if needed.

I still come several times a day on both AotW and BotW and I still love them, but so much more could be done!

Yeah. I slacked on coming on

Yeah. I slacked on coming on here for several months and have only just now returned. I remember the informal contest thing (I was involved in it.) Hopefully more people will respond to this post/rant and together we can help get some changes made. :)

Agree. I'm a new member

Agree. I'm a new member (student), and have found this site to help in certain ways. The forum is handy and can be interesting. I got some good help on the one work in progress I posted. Cool site, fellas.

Hey guys.

Hey guys.
im a copywriter working on my portfolio
i got some nice ads that i would like to share
but i cant open a new topic.
is that cos of the pencils i need to gain?
if you could explain me that semi system i would be greatful.

*i would love to be a part of an oiled working forum like this.

thank you alot!

Thank Ivan. I really

Thanks Ivan. I really appreciate that. Like I said in post, I love this site, and I really like to see it get even bigger and have more creatives use it. Your consent really means a lot to me. :)

If the exhibition was set up

If the exhibition was set up similar to the archive, with thumbnail pics, and a rating system similar to brands of the world, I think there would be more action around here. And minus the ability to bump 5 year old threads.

Hey Shanuea long time no see.

Hey Shanuea long time no see. :) yeah, I like your ideas, but are we still going to allow comments, after all that is sort of the whole idea behind this site. That would be the only problem with the rating system is it's easier to just say, "I give you a 3 on this ad." as opposed to saying, "Here's what works. Here's what doesn't." Using Facebook as an example, you'll get 100 "likes" on something, but no comments as to WHY they liked your post. I think if we can incorporate the 2 that would be a good thing.

I'm not sure about not being able to comment on older threads. (I'm assuming that's what you were talking about.) I know that they may be old, but they'll always be new to someone and with the older threads, it's not so much about critiquing the one who did the ad, but seeing what you like or don't like about it and interacting with the people who have posted comments before. Like I said even an old post is new to somebody and when they post, it shows up so that other people can see it and talk about it. Just my thoughts on the matter. ;p

With brands of the world you

With brands of the world for example you can still comment on old posts, but it doesn't bump it to the top.

Yeah. I totally agree with

Yeah. I totally agree with that. We'd just have to establish how long is too long and come up with an "archive" for the older stuff that people could still look through. Maybe within the archive the ads that get noticed/commented on could then go to the top of the page

Hello, I have a question,

Hello, I have a question, what would be the average salary for a junior social media designer? I can't find an specific information about this position. Thanks!

Advertisement
Campaign Submission
Upload Your Work
Get Featured on AotW
Submit Now