Advertisement

Hi. Firstly, to know my background, I'm a student at The City College of Technology in Brooklyn, NY. I'm no ad veteran, but I try to find all ways possible to gain experience. This is the first time I'm expressing my advertising ideas to the internet as opposed to the college staff.

I'm doing a campaign on Gulden's and I'm exploring copy. I've had first draft designs made already with a brown squeeze bottle (as opposed to a traditional yellow mustard bottle). They're featured on stock images of diner tables (I'm currently limited to what I can do photograph wise) but even I admit myself that they're visually lame. So I'm looking to overhaul the visuals, I'll probably just use white space.

I'm looking for comments based on the headlines I came up with.

Headline 1:
Brown Mustard Isn't That Spicy, Don't Be a Yellow Belly

Headline 2:
Ketchup = Red
Relish = Green
Mustard = Yellow?

Let's Prove Pop Psychology Wrong

Headline 3:
Mustard Should Embrace a Darker Image

---
Highly appreciate anything constructive. I'm here to learn.

Hi, thanks for posting. To be

Hi, thanks for posting. To be honest none of the lines grab me- highlighting the fact that the bottle's brown in my opinion isn't a good thing (it puts bad images in my head).

I would try and think of a different approach - but maybe some other feedback from people here might give you some ideas. Good luck.

I think that these headlines

I think that these headlines work, with maybe the exception of the second one, (You have to think about it too much). You just have to make sure that you show the product and that the name (Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard) in order to let the reader/consumer to get the message you're trying to send.

I think "Mustard Should

I think "Mustard Should Embrace a Darker Image" could be fun, if you follow up with images that are entertaining in their boldness, rebelliousness or anything that conveys a dark image in a fun way. Tattooed biker using mustard bottle, etc.

Convey your strategy to me to

Explain your strategy and define what your objective is. If you're trying to convey your mustard as anti-yellow, I get where you're coming from. But more often than not, it's better to demonstrate the strengths of your brand rather than the weaknesses of your competitors. I'm still not 100% sure why darker is better, so that's a good place to start. Normally I don't say to comp things up, but having these on a sheet with a tagline at the bottom and possibly some body copy help me visualize how the lines and the strategy work together.

EDIT: The lines aren't bad, they're just easy to pass over.

EDIT2: I edited my comment because it was the most god-awful, redundant, unintelligible explanation I've ever written. I can't believe that came out of me.

I think you may be able to

I think you may be able to take this in many different directions, but I think the darker approach could be fun to play with.

Advertisement
Campaign Submission
Upload Your Work
Get Featured on AotW
Submit Now