Advertisement

Hi everyone,

So as of April, I will be graduating College with a two year diploma in Advertising and Marketing Communications. Throughout my college experience, I have learned about Advertising Sales (Consumer & Trade), Advertising Planning and Preparation (Competitive/Brand Analysis), Media Buying & Selling (Media Strategy & Media Brief), Integrated Marketing Communications (Consumer & Trade Promotions) as well as identifying target markets through demographic and psychographic research. Anyways, my program was more tailored towards the business side of advertising with one copywriting & layout course offered each semester for creative.

My ambition is to become an art director, gradually striving towards becoming a creative director. I've always had a passion for creative advertising. However, I feel I've had to learn more about creative on my own as it wasn't a primary focus in my program. My dilemma is, when I graduate, I'm thinking of getting into an arts university for their advertising program which offers a bachelors degree in design, mainly focused on the creative side. I'm 22 right now, and this is a four year program, so I'll graduate around 26. My question is, do you think 26 would be a little late to come out of school? I have to create and present a portfolio in a couple of months for admission and I was wondering if it is even necessary for me to go to school in hopes to pursue a creative job or should I just continue to learn on my own while developing a portfolio to present to potential employers?

Any insight and relative experience would be greatly appreciated !

- 26 is not too old.

- 26 is not too old.

- A school can help but it's expensive and would take you back to square one (except if there are some equivalencies I'm of unaware of) But an internship would be even better in your case. Whatever you choose, work on that portfolio.

- Read "Hey Whipple Squeeze This", from Luke Sullivan.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the advice Shawali

Thanks for the advice Shawali.

I would rather gain experience in an internship as I don't want to stay in school for an additional four years. I'm just concerned if not having design credentials would hinder me from a career as an art/creative director.

I have picked up "Hey Whipple Squeeze This" and I must say, it is an interesting read so far. I heard this was more or so the "Advertising Bible".

EDIT: So I just asked my creative teacher for advice and she also thought I should focus on building my portfolio and seek experience under an art director, because I'll be exposed to on the job training. She also allowed me to borrow "The advertising concept book", "Advertising Concept and Copy", "Creative Advertising-Mario Pricken".

I must say, I'm really excited to get started!

Damn, if only I could be your

Damn, if only I could be your age..... =)

About those design skills, screw the credentials. You can work that on your own. There are a shitload of tutorials that will teach you anything a teacher would. Sketch a lot too. Don't use softwares like Illustrator or Photoshop as creation tools while there are only execution tools.

And more importantly: have fun!

Yes, I'm going to start

Yes, I'm going to start creating a lot of sketch work. I tend to only use Photoshop for spec work, which I now realize only hinders and limits my creative potential, because I'm limited to the images i can find online.

Use Photoshop only to retouch

Use Photoshop only to retouch picture. For lay outs and vector stuff (logos, etc...) use Illustrator or InDesign.

Advertisement
Campaign Submission
Upload Your Work
Get Featured on AotW
Submit Now