Advertisement

Listerine

I suggested some lines for someone's Listerine campaign that were never used. Decided to use them myself, because I thought they were hilarious. Just imagine they're different flavors because I did these in a rush.

Strategy is completely the opposite of Listerine's apologetic advertising. A kind of "I don't give a shit if you think it burns" approach, with the burn as an indicator of efficacy.

Wewt.

~JT

P.S. - Credit to Shawali for the "If germs could talk" line.

jteslik's picture
jteslik
Activity Score 1393

Let the hatred flow!!!

shanuea's picture
shanuea
Activity Score 781

Nice to see some of your work - it's been awhile.

The second one sounds a bit off grammatically - though I can't see anything wrong with it, it just sounds a bit weird. maybe that's just me.

The last one doesn't make sense. "Someone" - so here you're not referring to germs, or at least it doesn't imply that. What happened to them? Listerine beat them up? This one doesn't work in it's current state - perhaps clarify that you're talking about a germ - and if you're not then this stands apart from the rest and shouldn't be included.

The layouts are nice and simple, though the copy looks like its on a slight angle, which I don't think it needs to be.

The final tagline "Kick germs in the mouth" - wasn't that from one of GR8's listerine ads (or someones) it sounds familiar.

The first one is the strongest, the others less so - but overall its a nice little campaign.

jteslik's picture
jteslik
Activity Score 1393

Hey, thanks for the comment! Yeah, it's been a while. I should get going to at least get my book in order in case I apply somewhere.

The second one looks fine to me, but I'll have to see what other people think. It is a tad off.

The last one got sort of in the "Chuck Norris" realm. The implication is that yes, Listerine beat them up. It could be a germ, it could be a whiny mouthwash user. The idea is you're supposed to fill in the blank. That's probably my least favorite line, so I'd have no problem scrapping it if it comes to that. But I do like the personification aspect.

The angle is from the 3D effect in Illustrator, which I just left because I thought it made it look kinda neat. It could be in that realm where it doesn't look intentional though. Maybe I'll straighten it out or exaggerate it more. I'm a pretty awful designer.

The tagline was from my post in this thread: http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/139103

Thanks again for the feedback!

shanuea's picture
shanuea
Activity Score 781

Perhaps the second one should be " If germs could talk, they won't anymore." I don't know about that grammar, but it sounds a bit smoother.

The last one just seems out of line with the rest. And personally I'd lose the angled copy - it looks unintentional.

Shawali's picture
Shawali
Activity Score 8442

You totally forgot to mention that the base line "kick the germs in the mouth" is a double entendre.

The first basic sense is that Chuck Norris thing of round kicking these pesky germs, but the second is that you kick the germs not in their mouth, but in the consumer's mouth.

AD sucks, but I guess that's kinda my fault =)

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

jteslik's picture
jteslik
Activity Score 1393

Lol I thought it was obvious that it was a double entendre ;D haha. Although Chuck Norris has nothing to do with these, really. Just the style of the lines is something you'd see in a CN joke.

And thanks about the AD, you bastard! I thought these came out pretty well @_@

C-W's picture
C-W
Activity Score 86

My favorite line is in the third ad. Love the tagline.

Maybe there's a good line for "germ warfare"? Could be too puny. I can't seem to get away from the puns. Although I've heard that puns aren't always bad if they kick both ways.

Headline ideas (nothing new, just different renditions of what you have)

Listerine would've killed all the germs if the remaining .1% didn't run away. (similar to the first ad)

For germs, armageddon starts with a burning sensation. (similar to the third ad)

If germs could talk, there would be some screaming followed by silence. (similar to the second ad)

Looking for feedback on comp ads I do in my spare time.

jteslik's picture
jteslik
Activity Score 1393

Hey, thanks for the comment!

For the headline ideas, I played around with the first ad saying "the other .1% runs in fear," but I didn't like the implication that they could get away from Listerine. I wanted it to be like he let them live, either for a purpose or just for a "fair fight." I like the burning sensation one, I'll have to play around with that a little to see where it ends up. I don't get the connection to armageddon though, maybe like a nuke where the heat melts you before the blast actually hits? IDK, there's probably a situation where death is preceded by burning, but I'll have to make sure to keep these light; it's easy to fall into the murder/genocide route. If people are having trouble with the second ad, we could switch it up to "If germs could talk, all you'd hear is screams." But I like how it is now, because it's more of a fill-in-the-blank.

EDIT: Who thinks the fourth ad should be changed to "Germs/A germ called Listerine weak once. Just once." ?

C-W's picture
C-W
Activity Score 86

I like: A germ called Listerine weak once. Just once.

Looking for feedback on comp ads I do in my spare time.

Advertisement